Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday Thoughts

This weekend my stake president, Scott Muir, was released from his calling after serving for nine years. At first, I was upset that I was going to miss Strung Out to go to the adult session on Saturday night. Maybe not upset, but a little disappointed that I wasn't going to see a show that I had been planning on seeing for a couple of months now. Yesterday I was kind of edgy because of some family stuff, and going to that session last night really put me in a better place. I was really grateful to have gone.

I hadn't thought at all about any of the feelings I would be having with his release. I don't think that I've had another leader in the church that I've known for so long who has served so faithfully over such a long term as President Muir. 10 years ago next month I was baptized a member of the church and the following Christmas, he gave me my first set of scriptures. He interviewed me for the Melchizedek Priesthood, the mission, and endowment. He set me apart as a full time missionary. Later he interviewed me for my calling as elders quorum president, and executive secretary. I've had a few interviews to renew my temple recommend with him, and have had numerous personal priesthood interviews with him. I think I mentioned that earlier this year he gave me one of the most amazing blessings I've ever had. I've stood with him in holy circles as he set apart Michael, Annalee, and Kira before they went to serve their missions. So this morning when he was released I felt a flood of love and gratitude for him and everything he has done for me fill my heart.

I didn't think that any of this would be emotional at all for me. That hadn't crossed my mind once, but when I heard him bear his final testimony as my stake president, I felt so grateful to have been so blessed by his wonderful example.

This weekend was really great. I had fun on Friday night, and Saturday, but I'm glad everything revolved around stake conference and the reorganization of the stake presidency. Elder Quentin Cook of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles was assigned to help with the reorganization of the stake presidency, as well as Elder Whiting of the 70. I really learned a lot from their words. I especially grew fond of Elder Cook. He doesn't seem to mince words in his talks and I appreciate that approach. Something that was touched upon throughout the weekend and I feel like was a theme for the last General Conference was the idea of not allowing ourselves to get distracted by things that aren't necessarily bad things, but that aren't the best things. Quoting Elder Packer, Elder Cook said that, "we get caught up in the thick of thin things."

I feel like that is the story of my life. I have no regrets at all about who I'm spending time with or anything like that, but I feel like I'm not maximizing on the time that I do have. I don't think I really need to elaborate on this anymore other than to say that I just hope that I can make the most with what I've been given. I am so deeply grateful for the people in my life, for the gospel, and the opportunities I have to grow and improve myself. I know that we have the fulness of truth and the greatest opportunity for everlasting joy within the parameters of the church and the Lord's gospel. I'm so grateful to know and feel all of that. And I'm so deeply appreciative of wonderful people like President Muir who give of themselves so fully and without any need for temporal rewards. That is someone who is maximizing on his opportunities to be Christ-like and I hope I can be that person someday.

No comments: