Monday, October 8, 2007

Hey Ya'll

I meant to write a post announcing my departure for Utah, but I never got around to it. I'm pleased to say that I'm back, but it was fun to get away at the same time. It was totally one of those trips that was only a few days, but felt like a week. I really enjoyed it actually. I'll post on it later. I do, however, want to say briefly how nice it is to come home sometimes. I love getting back in my car and sleeping in my bed and living by my own schedule. Know what I mean? I hate feeling like an inconvenience to anybody so it's nice to have free range over everything that I'm doing, but not just that. It's nice to have my life to get back to and feel rejuvenated about going at everything again. I'm grateful I got to get away, but I'm grateful to be getting back again to the grind. It's great to be able to feel that.

A song that I'm really really enjoying right now - New You by the Vandals. Thanks again, Amy, for the CD. It's not that I'm even currently experiencing these feelings right now, but the lyrics are just perfect. I love how certain songs encapsulate perfectly exact feelings or thoughts that you've had before. Let me give you a taste of some of the lyrics:

Well now you say that you like me but you dont like like me
And you say that you love me but you're not in love with me
Maybe we should just be friends
But friends shouldn't treat other friends like that
You're not too friendly when you act like that
Should I smash your f***ing head with a baseball bat
And dig around there in the brains and the goo
For something that looks like old you

It sounds a little psychotic, but I think that's part of the charm of the song. You have to listen to it to really get it. It's funny, and I'm more than happy to send it to you if you'll just let me know.

Anyway, I gotta run. I'll be writing later, but probably not until later later today. Two quick asides to close...that book I've been reading, Progress Paradox, opens with a quote by Robert Frost that for some reason, only dawned on me last night what it actually means. He says, "happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length." So true. And then Jay Nordlinger, the guy who writes my favorite op-ed pieces, always closes with one word, and a professor that I loved at Claremont always closed his emails to the class with the same word, cheers. So cheers, everyone. I hope you're all doing well.

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

Amen to being back in your own digs. Amen.