Friday, October 12, 2007

Wicked

This is what I did last night. I first heard about Wicked from Becca's roommates and they were so enthralled, but not having heard anythin about the show before it just sounded kind of odd, like it had some kind of cult following that only certain people liked. Kind of like Rocky Horror Picture Show. But I should have known then that I would have liked it because I tend to like a lot of those quirky kind of things. Another friend of mine who has seen a good amount of shows said it was the best of them all and that when he first saw it, he was grinning from ear to ear the entire time. So there was a lot of build up for this one, but it came in just as advertised - AMAZING.

It was really smart. There were a lot of obvious attempts at humor like Galinda and her kind of brainless meanderings, and there were a lot of subtle things too. And it was all hits, no misses. I was surprised by not only how funny it was, but how much development there was with all of the characters as well. Just really clever stuff.


Last week I was talking about how I wanted to go and then the very next day at work we got a fax from a ticket broker letting people know that they had over-purchased for the show so they were selling the tickets at pretty much face value. So I got orchestra seats, just right of center and only 10 rows back. Plus...I just love the Pantages. I've been to the other big theaters in Southern Cal - the Ahmansson and the OCPAC - and I just love how different the feel is. Being that it was built by Howard Hughes, it has a really gawdy, ornate look to the whole thing. Plus, I love the Egyptian-influence deco that the place had, probably due to the then-recent escavations in Egypt. Very cool theater. I loved it all. I was pretty exhausted the entire time which seems to be the theme this week, but I couldn't fall asleep. Unlike Mamma Mia where I kind of drifted in and out during the show, this one kept me lit up. I feel like I was the last person to see it, but it definitely lived up to the hype. And some of the musical numbers gave me the chills. Of course, Defying Gravity was just electrifying. I literally wanted to cry, it was so good. So gay right now gushing over a musical...but it's the truth. It was great.

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

I know -- it's freakin' ballin', huh?!? You can't believe how good all the hype is until you see it, and then you realize it's more than true!!

gregory said...

freakin' ballin' huh? i think you stole that quote from the NY times or Ebert & Roeper. The Washington Post said that Wicked is a 'musical gang bang from cradle 2 the grave'. The Times declared it 'a shotgun blast of music and dance to your face in a crack house - mutha **cka!'

Anonymous said...

Wow Silvs, I didn't know you were into musicals. Very Cool! Maybe some of you should rub off onto Jake. I completely agree with you though. I thought it was amazing!

Silvs said...

Yeah it was great...Brooke, I saw just a little blurb of your comment and I immediately started to feel defensive because I thought you were about to make fun of me, but no...so I appreciate that. Yup...so good. I'll fill in for Jake if you want to go to other musicals.

gregory said...

Wow - nice proposition. I want to see Wicked. I think I am one of the few remaining uninspired. Laura saw it in NYC, original cast, front row, and feels that anything less would be uncivilized. But I'll sucker her into it unknowingly...