Thursday, October 4, 2007

I Love Sports

Maybe you've been able to learn that about me. I love competition; I love playing sports; I love everything about them. The other day I had lunch with my boss and somehow we started talking about going to the playoffs this weekend at Anaheim Stadium. She had tickets and as was previously stated, Caitlin got us some tickets for Game 4 (we also have tickets to home games 1, 2, and 4 of the ALCS, should they make it that far). But we were talking about how cool it is to be there at the playoffs and I told about my experience going to Game 5 two years ago against the Yankees when the Angels won the series and how much I loved that. Then she totally trumped me and said that she had been to Game 6 in 2002 of the World Series - you know the one, when the Angels came back from 5 runs down to win the game and eventually the series. How cool would that have been to be there at that game? She said it was the eeriest feeling to be there at the stadium and everyone is wanting to be so excited, but with nothing to be excited about. And then they started mounting the comeback and she said it was a once-in-a-lifetime feeling to be there and experience all of that.



Another guy I used to work for used to get floor seats to the Lakers during the period when they won the three straight championships. And me being the sports/Lakers enthusiast asked him if he was there for Game 4 in the Western Conference Championship when Robert Horry hit the 3 at the buzzer to win the game. Of course he was. So I was thinking about sporting events that I'd like to be present for as they happen. I know that most of this depends on context and whether or not you're actually invested into the teams or players playing, but there are a few sportings events that would be cool regardless. So here is my list. I've probably left off a few, but in no particular order, here they are:

  • Courtside at a Lakers game
  • Fenway park for Sox and Yankees game
  • Blackhole at Oakland
  • Superbowl
  • At least one game 7 of a series I care about.
  • Dodger Stadium for a game against the Giants when it means something
  • Go to Old Stratford for a Manchester United Game
  • See Brazil in the World Cup
  • Any playoff game for any of the teams I care about
  • Notre Dame game at Southbend and attend a prayer service with the team before the game
  • Go to Hawaii and watch some of the competitors in the Iron Man Triathlon

I know that I've left off some things, but this is a pretty good start. I should pick one of these to do a year and then just start hitting them up. Anybody else in?

1 comment:

Laura said...

I agree. There is NOTHING better than being at an incredibly exciting/important game. It is such an adrenaline rush. Matt was not too happy the other day when i told him that when we were at the dodger game when they hit the back to back to back to back homeruns to win the game in the bottom of the 9th that I think it was better than our wedding day.