Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Sometimes those electronic or industrial types of music are really cool. I remember going to a party a few months ago and there was an electronic song and I just loved it. Plus there was a guy there who had some great dance moves and I think that song is what inspired him the most. Isn't funny that there is just certain music that you just have to move to? It's like something else takes over and you just feel like moving to the beat. Even animals sometimes get into it. I love when little kids hear something and they can't help themselves. Anyway...

I love that the Indians are beating up on the Sox. They have reached Yankee status for me. They think they can buy their way into the World Series and I hate them for it. Plus they beat up on my poor Angels, but to be honest, we weren't going to win any series with the kind of hitting that we had in that Divisional Playoff Series. Still though...pretty disappointing. And the Rockies are a rollin'. I hope they sweep right through the whole thing. I came across this story yesterday on espn.com. Be prepared to be weepy. Sometimes journalism as a profession really outdoes itself. Most of the time I'm bothered by the media. It can be really seedy, as pointed out by Mark Steyn while on Hugh Hewitt's radio show:
I think, I have a low opinion of journalists, because I work with a lot of them,
and also because I don’t think of it as a profession, and I think the outrage
over things like that biography come because in America, this thing is perceived
as this, you know, almost slightly below Jeffery Toobin’s Supreme Court, nine
gods from Mount Olympus. But on the next level on the mountain are journalists
who’ve been to Columbia Journalism School, they’ve spent tons of money and years
of study to become ethical journalists. And of course, that’s not true. At a
certain level, it’s a job, you do what you have to do to get your foot in the
door, and to get the interview with the grieving widow. And if that means
telling her that you’re the milkman and you want to deliver her a couple of free
quarts of milk this morning, then you do that. And the fact of the matter is
it’s a grubby profession, it’s a foot in the door profession. And we get
confused about it, because of this silly idea that’s grown up in America that
it’s this lofty, ethical, great kind of calling, which it isn’t.

And then, in the case of that story about the guy who plays the Tar Heels mascot, it can be really touching.

I wish I had more interesting stuff to talk about. Tonight is Knott's Scary Farm. I can't believe how great the talks are from Conference. Just being in the right place and ready to hear council makes all the difference in the world. It's not like I haven't been inspired by other Conferences, but it never ceases to amaze me how personal the addresses can feel. They can be so specific and it's such an evidence of how intimately acquainted God is with our - my - personal circumstances. In a couple weeks Elder Quentin Cook is coming to reorganize our Stake Presidency and it is the same night as the Strung Out show that I've been anticipating for so long. Last night I was resolute in deciding not to go. This morning, not so much.

I forgot how much I loved Yellowcard's Ocean Avenue album. Discovering old music that you love is about as good as discovering new music.

We won our soccer game last night. We're actually doing really well. We won 6-1 and the two previous weeks we won 5-0 each week. I didn't even sweat the entire first half. It was a pretty boring game for me. Which makes it kind of disappointing that I'm not going to be playing tonight, but at the same time...yay! Halloween stuff! This is a lame post.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I am so stoked for a Rockies/Indians world series.