Saturday, October 13, 2007

Some News From Iraq

I was reading some stuff and I wasn't going to post it at first, but there was a good number of articles and blurbs that I thought were really worth sharing. This has to do with the war and the direction that it has been heading in most recently. First, this post on the shift that is occurring among the citizens of Iraq, particularly the Shiite people. Then, the Associated Press reports on the dramatic decrease in deaths in Iraq. Next, one reporter commentates (I meant I what I said) on the political slant delivered by the mainstream media here. And finally, some more thoughts from General Sanchez about the mainstream media and the influence they exert on the delivery of the news, here.

If you don't remember or didn't hear, General Sanchez is the same person whose name was tied with blasting the presidency about its handling of the war in Iraq. However, after reading transcripts of what actually was said, you'll soon realize that is not the message that he intended to deliver. I don't just bring this up because I'm a conservative and it supports my ideology, but because this is what is really going on. You have to realize that the media has a very clear agenda and it is in opposition to the success of our country and to what most Americans hold dear. Please realize that most news that you digest that comes from major TV news outlets and newspapers are not unbiased and do report with a political agenda in mind. I know that most of you will probably not follow the links I provided, but this is important stuff to be aware of.

I'm going to digress a little bit, but I think you can appreciate what I'm trying to express. While at BYU, Dave had told me about a discussion that he had in one of his classes about the messages that are delivered through literature, movies, etc. I can't remember exactly what was said, but the message sent by that professor was that any time someone wants you to believe that a movie is just a movie or a book is just a story, then you are being carefully misled. Every spoken and written word will have an effect upon the recipient because it is a communication, because communication is essentially the deliverance of ideas. And whether you like it or not, you are being pulled in one direction or another by the message being conveyed. Then the professor gave an example of how when the movie Fight Club came out, at BYU campus where many of the students hold beliefs and ideas contrary to the message of the film, there were a few dozen incidents of students starting their own Fight Clubs. I think another film being spoken of in the class was the movie The Ring. That movie transmits to the viewer a story that has no real resolution other than just simply the perpetuation of evil. Think about it.

With the things that we see and hear on a daily basis, realize just how important it is to have a discerning spirit and to properly insulate yourself against untruth. Because there really is a battle being waged. Just know what side it is that you're being pulled towards, and also know that it is assailing you on all fronts, in everything that you see and hear.

1 comment:

Salt H2O said...

Product placement in films and tv is a powerful way to sell coke and pepsi- why does the public assume it would be any less powerful when trying to sell ideas, morals, and concepts?