Thursday, October 11, 2007

Yay Conference!

You know what's so amazing? how specific counsel can be when you've been prepping yourself to hear the words of the prophets. I only caught the Saturday and Sunday morning sessions, and the Priesthood session live and I'm currently working on the recorded afternoon sessions. But if you didn't already know, today is when they post online the text of all the talks.

I wish I had my notes so I can remember better what I really liked. I will say that going into conference I had several questions that I was looking for some very specific direction on and I felt like as I listened, I had a much clearer idea of what I needed to do. I think that's just amazing. From the first session, I really, really loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk. More specifically, his testimony at the very end. Usually that is the part where I kind of start to tune out because usually it's pretty generic, but he said some things about the Savior that really touched me. And what's more is that there were some very specific scriptural phrases that he used in his talk that I've really been focusing on this past year and it just felt very specific to me and the circumstances that I am currently facing. Also, how good was I Believe In Christ at the end of that morning session? That song came on when people started to get restless and chat more where I was watching it, but I was really touched at how beautiful the music was. It has been a while since I've been really moved by the music in conference, but that one really did it for me. It was also cool to see an elder from my mission in the MoTab.

Priesthood was really great as well. We went to a local stake center and my favorite part about the whole session was singing with a full chapel and the overflow in the gym High On A Mountain Top. It's just so different when you have a bunch of men singing. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's just a really neat feeling of solidarity with one another that can't really come in any other way. I enjoyed the talks for that session and was completely alert, but sometimes it's just so nice to not feel like the most pointed council is directed at you. I'm grateful some of those things aren't my struggles.

I really appreciated all the subtle tributes that the General Authorities gave to President Faust. I absolutely love Elder Eyring and am so excited to see him step up into that role. Mostly what I appreciate is being able to hear more of his council and thoughts. His talks have always felt very personal to me and I appreciate his approach. I'm not a Monson or Perry kind of guy. I'm more of the Holland, Bednar, Eyring persuasion, you know what I mean? What I'm saying is if they suddenly split off and formed their own branch of the church, I might consider going. But that would never happen so I'm not too worried about it. Bottom line - conference is amazing. When you open your heart, prepare for it, and are really seeking for the Lord to write upon the fleshy tablets of your heart, He's there. And in the most personal and intimate way. Of this I testify...

No comments: