Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Happy Memorial Day

I know it's late...but I hope you all had a great weekend. There is a little memorial in Irvine that has pictures of soldiers and various other things and I drove past last night and a small crowd had gathered to sing songs and commemorate the day. I stopped for a few minutes and it was nice. My favorite part was a solo of God Bless America. It was a nice weekend. I feel like I should do more
patriotic stuff to celebrate these holidays.

Yesterday, I was playing football and one kid who had just gotten back from his mission was talking with a non-member friend about another guy who was serving his mission in Argentina. This guy is going to be coming home in another month or so and they were talking about how he'll probably hate America because there is so much anti-Americanism in foreign countries these days. It mostly just sounded dumb to me, because I had plenty of people in Chile yell at me for being American, and if anything, living in another country for 2 years made me realize how much I love this one. I remember one guy was especially vile in yelling at my companion and I, but at that point in the mission I was very confident in how well I could speak Spanish, and in who I was, and I fired right back at him. He tried to spit on me and I just walked away, feeling that much more grateful to be American.

1 comment:

gregory said...

Oh man, America is so great. I appreciated it so much more after living abroad. It is cocky and conceited to say, but most peeps hate because of envy and jealousy. Thank you Founding Fathers and soldiers and the families behind them. Woot woot!