Monday, May 5, 2008

I Am Iron Man



Of course I saw it over the weekend. For just a three day weekend it opened with over $100 million in sales. And it's every bit as good as I had hoped it would be. I just love the characters that they've developed in the comics because they're all so genuinely flawed and real. The movie doesn't go into this as much, but in the comics Tony Stark is not only a millionaire playboy with the new heart condition, but he also sometimes has a horrible skin condition that necessitates new inventions that only he can produce, and one plotline that usually gets a lot of attention is his alcoholism. Although the powers and the superfluous events that occur are completely fictional, the people that exist in the Marvel and DC comics worlds are entirely real. When I first heard about Robert Downey Jr. being cast as Tony Stark I could never have imagined a better fit between actor and character. The appearance alone is almost exact, but the type of people that I imagine both to be are perfect as well. The story is entertaining, nothing feels overdone, and the performances are all great. I love Gwynneth in her role as Pepper. I'm sure I'll be seeing it at least a few more times in the theater. I also heard on the radio this morning that Tony Stark makes an appearance in the new Incredible Hulk movie coming out next month. And if you haven't seen it yet, do yourselves a favor and listen to this guy's advice (although if you aren't really familiar with the comics then you won't get all geeked up like everyone else):

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, let me know when you go and see it again. The group I originally was going to go with went late Saturday (they were up in LA, so it was too last minute for me to go up).