Thursday, May 22, 2008

More Blogcritics

I just finished another article for Blogcritics, so hopefully that will go up in the next day or two. The last one went up pretty quickly. There was a bunch of material sent my way when I initially got going with them, and I didn't bother reading a lot of it. After looking over all the guidelines for writing and editing, I'm realizing that it's a pretty legit site. If you bother looking at the author bios most of the people on there have a professional interest in those things that they are writing about. A lot of them are actually quite impressive.

I mentioned previously that there will be opportunities for movies, cds, books, tickets, etc. and only today did I bother to start looking through what things are available. Thinking that the site was pretty small time and would only have unrecognizable names and titles, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were names that I actually recognized on there. Just today I found that MxPx came out with another greatest hits collection called The Ultimate Collection. It's a 2-CD set that compiles pretty much everything, including the last couple of albums which I'm actually not at all familiar with. What's really cool, though, is that I emailed the contact about doing a review for the band and she got back to me right away and will be sending me the CD, and asked me to send her a link of the review to forward onto "the guys."

I can't even tell you how exciting all this is for me, and I can't even really explain why. I guess it just comes down to the fact that this is exactly like something that I've been wanting to be a part of for some time now. More than a year ago I was talking with a friend about putting together an online magazine where people can go and contribute on things that they care about and are interested in. In just the last few months, as I've attended a bunch of concerts, I thought it would be so cool to put together a blog that would cover local shows and have interesting reviews on bands, artists, etc. that I'm actually interested in. And now it's here and it totally makes me giddy to be a part of something like this.

Not only did the contact mention that I could write the review for the CD, but she also mentioned that I could possibly do a live review for them when they come through the area. Guess what? I just checked it out and they'll be playing the Anaheim House of Blues with Lagwagon, October 3rd. Guess who's coming back from school for that weekend? Holla!

No comments: