Friday, May 30, 2008

SYTYCD Recap Week 2

Laura accused me of working this morning, so to prove her wrong I decided that I would put together a post on my favorite show. At first I didn't think that I really liked anyone from this week's episodes of So You Think You Can Dance. After that first episode last week, I think some of those guys really set the bar high for what I was hoping for. I really thought Twitch should have made the top 20 last year, and then the two guys from the videos I posted impressed me even more. I haven't been really impressed with any of the girls, but after giving it some more thought, there have been a few that are pretty good. Okay, so maybe there are some guys that were decent as well. I think I'm inclined to focus more on the hip hop dancers than the other ones, but there have been some good ones all around. Here are some of my favorites from this past week:

Kelli Baker




Matt Dorame

Sheila Kaiser

There were a couple of others that were pretty good. The first girl who did the ballroom routine in Salt Lake City was my favorite ballroom person so far. I think I've been holding off on doing a full recap just because I'm mostly anxious for them to get past the auditions and select the top 20 and get into the competition.

Laura...I know we already talked about this in the morning, but I don't understand your disdain for Cat. She's SO sweet. Yes, she is a giant imposing figure, but she's also way pretty. I just love the fact that she seems like such a genuinely nice person.

There was one black dude in the North Carolina (is that right?) auditions that was pretty good too, but I don't think he'll be able to to do much. I'm pretty much gonna guarantee that these three will be in the top 20. After watching Sheila again, I think she's going to be my favorite girl. She plays to the song wonderfully, and Mary was right, it was so sultry. Really cute girl swaying perfectly to the rhythm of the music. I think Tyce is one of my favorite personalities/choreographers on the show. He's a nice guy who puts together cool routines.

Couple of other things:
  • Did you guys love or hate how obviously Mormon the people were in Salt Lake? I loved it. From the mom who brought her four kids with her to the audition, to the brief segment where the show bothered to mention the common theme among those dancers - kids!
  • I didn't think either of the girls from Salt Lake who both teach a fitness class were that great, but I did like the chest bump they had outside the building.
  • Hated the tranny. Hated. And I'm only some guy watching the show at home, how insulting is that for the judges to have a person like that on there? Tranny, fierce, fierce, hot mess! tranny...
  • Also hated the super femmy guy from Julliard. Seriously, bro? So gay. Don't waste my time.
One last thing...we have to see a taping of the competition part this summer. Visit this site to get tickets, or at least to get on the waiting list. It is so absurd/gay how much I love this show, but I'm glad that I'm not alone. I think if more dudes were comfortable in their masculinity (or completely devoid of it?) they would realize how awesome it is. Did I miss anything or anyone? Can't wait until after Vegoose when the good stuff starts!

3 comments:

gregory said...

Personally I was cool with most the 'mormon-ness' in SLC, but that one mom that had her 4 kids with her blew me away when I realized she is the same age as my wife! Dang! I would have never guessed that - ever.

Julliard dude was the worst. Nice camo goofball, shut up and go home and cry.

I want tickets so bad.

Laura said...

thanks for the post chris - and proving you don't actually do work at work.

i am so there. already signed up.

if cat could say the word "judges" properly and wasn't such an amazon I might be more inclined to like her.

gregory said...

don't hate on amazons - i don't think she is an amazon, it's just all those dancers are tiny dancers. Why you got to hate on a tall, beautiful, British woman? Is it because her accent is sexy? Or that she is famous? Is it her honey-blonde hair? Or the fact that her legs go on for days? Or could it be her ... oh yeah