Monday, May 5, 2008

I Got In Trouble Today

As I think you all know I will send out a weekly employment bulletin at work. I've made it kind of into my only little forum to make a joke here and there and for the most part it's received well, except by the President of the company. I actually get rave reviews from everyone about the bulletins I send out, like the Halloween one, or more recently, the April Fool's bulletin. Unfortunately, my most ardent critic has been the one with the most say in what's appropriate or not to put on the bulletin, or in the email itself. More recently, to tone things down, I thought playing it safe would be to include a new image of some piece of art each week on the bulletin. To my surprise today, I got a call from the President asking me why I had posted an image of breasts on the bulletin. I didn't even know what she was talking about. I knew the image she was referring to, but couldn't even pick out what she was talking about, I even had it sitting right in front of me. Then she asked me to recall the message I had sent out a week earlier, which I obviously couldn't do, and advised me that I cannot include anymore obscene images. I just couldn't believe the Mormon kid at the company was getting reprimanded for not being conservative enough. I was really annoyed.

I was referred to the painting by a friend and it's called Hallucinogenic Toreador and is actually really cool. For some commentary on the piece you can go here, here, and here. I was just surprised that the images of the Venus de Milo was referred to only as "breasts". Sometimes I hate the rigidity at my work as much as I appreciate it at other times.

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

Your presidente sounds Cinco de Gayo.

Silvs said...

That might be one of my favorite comments ever.

Unknown said...

I'm all for breasty bulletins. And bulleted breasts.

I would have appreciated it. And I've seen the original. Neener, neener, neener!

SBVOR said...

Silvs,

Political Correctness (in all it’s Marxian “beauty”) is a very dangerous dogma to confront. Use caution when dealing with "so-called Liberals"! They can and will make your life a living hell (and, all in the name of everything “progressive”). Trust me! Been there, seen that.

In this case, your alleged “crime” was to offend a sainted gender class (see the first link). If you do not understand and comply with the neo-Marxist dogma of Political Correctness, you will lose your job (and, quite possibly, more than that).

Proceed with caution, my brother. These are dangerous times! Free speech was murdered long ago.

Dave said...

I think it's kind of inappropriate for you to engage in any sort of rigidity at work associated with breast viewing.

That's not official legal counsel... it's just good policy.