Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Ahhh...Sports

So last night we started an outdoor soccer league. It is a 7v7 B league and Dave and I are playing with a bunch of dudes that we knew growing up. And you know those older guys who take their insignificant grown-up sports way too seriously? I am now one of those guys. You know…the guys who were high school superstars, but didn’t really do much beyond that time period. The kind who live in the glory days? Yup, me.

It was AWESOME. I can’t tell you how much fun it is to make things competitive and form teams and work against guys you don’t know. When I first heard about this league, I thought we would walk all over every team, but some of these guys aren’t bad. And of course, there are still the guys who are playing that are like 60 years old, but they’re not all terrible. Anyway, we were dominating this team, I mean we were really working them over, but as it turns out sometimes in soccer you just can’t always put the ball in the net. They had a couple of counters and managed to get 2 goals. It made me mad and we were looking tired. Of the 40 minutes, they led for about the first 37 ½ minutes. Then we scored a goal…and then another…and another. We won 3-2. In the grand scheme of things, this game means absolutely nothing, but I just loved it. It was so fun to rack on them and steal that win. I would have preferred to not take so long to get it in gear, but it felt so good to storm back and get that win.

You know what else I love? Competition. I’m like a different person when it comes to playing competitively, especially against guys that I don’t know. I’ll say and do things that I wouldn’t EVER do to anyone that I know, or that in any other setting I wouldn’t even think of doing. For example, I would never full-throated yell in someone’s face telling them to, “shut the hell up” or that “you’re a freakin pussy.” I would never ever say those things in any other setting. Or on a 50-50 ball I ran full-speed right through a guy that probably had a good 4-6 inches on me and put him on the ground, only to wish that I could step on him as well. It’s so fun though…Dave, you gotta know how much I wanted to have the post-game analysis, maybe with a little pizza pipeline afterwards…

1 comment:

Dave said...

Great game.

And YES... that's what was missing. We need to go ahead and have those and get something to eat afterwards. I was starving so i did a Del run, but we should definitely work something out so we can eat and over analyze this recreational league as if it were the global war on terrorism.

It's serious people.