Sunday, September 9, 2007

Incubus At Verizon


I wish they still called it Irvine Meadows. I hate stupid marketing. But the show was awesome. I've never been to a big venue with a big band. You definitely lose the intimacy. We had lawn seats, which totally were not as good as I was anticipating, and there were just thousands of people there. I was crammed between two girls the entire show, neither of whom was my date (I can never tell when I should use 'who' or 'whom'). They were so good though.

I had a greater appreciation for sound and performance especially after last week's debacle called a show by Angels and Airwaves. I still like those few songs on the radio, but they just blew live. In contrast, Incubus had a really good polished sound. They played just about every song I wanted them to play and everything was just right on. It was really great. I love outdoor theaters, even if this one felt really crammed. I've been to one in Salt Lake somewhere, and the Hollywood bowl, and both of those weren't nearly as packed in as the Meadows was. In any case, they were good. Each song had a lengthy intro part and during one of those I was reminded of some Prince beats and was thinking to myself how I wanted to see him live, when all of the sudden blue, yellow, and purple lights came on and they started to play Let's Go Crazy. It was really cool. I didn't realize just how talented they are musically as well. Just a really good evening.

I even had a date that, dare I say it, eclipsed the performance. That's always cool when the person you're with is more fun the date activity itself, and that it was a good show is a compliment to her. And I'm not just saying that because she might be reading this. She was great - smart, nice, funny. I like people who laugh a lot and can laugh at themselves. She was that. So many thanks go to her for making the night that much better.

It was a great start to a fun weekend.

3 comments:

Dave said...

I was gonna say that about the IRVINE MEADOWS!

For WHOEVER cares. And to WHOM it may concern:
http://www.getitwriteonline.com/archive/062802.htm

gregory said...

i haven't read dave's link, but the answer is in the question. just answer your use of the word (either who or whom) w/ an appropriate pronoun. Who goes w/ she/he, whom goes w/ her/him. WHO was your date? SHE was. WHOM did you sit next to? I sat next to HIM. WHOM did you speak with him? I spoke with HIM. WHO is gay? You are. Thanks TPR.

gregory said...

p.s. i love incubus and i are jealous of you.