Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Jena 6

I'm a little late to this story, but because I just posted last week about Donovan McNabb's comments about football and race I thought I'd visit another racial hot topic. For a good analysis you can read this article that gives a pretty thorough treatise of the different elements, as well as tells a complete story about the incidents in question. This article is commentary from one of this nation's most thoughtful conservatives, Thomas Sowell. Both authors are black, which gives good perspective on the issues at hand.

Obviously tensions are high in Louisiana. The south really just seems like a throwback to a different world and time when it comes to race relations, among other things. I've never visited there, but that is the sentiment I get from reading about these kinds of stories and from what I've heard from other people. My only comments on this issue goes back to what I had mentioned last week about Dr. Drew's thoughts on parenting, "bring the consequences to bear." It should have been resolved when the white kids hanged the nooses on the 'white tree,' but at the same time it should also be noted that the Jena 6 should not be absolved of their wrongdoing because some other kids were idiots. There is no justification for beating a kid unconscious, and then stomping on him, no matter what the circumstances are. It is irresponsible to demand freedom for the Jena 6 just because nothing happened to the kids who hanged the nooses. Sowell notes a drastic, and potentially catastropic, consequence to circumventing the criminal justice system.

No comments: