Tuesday, September 18, 2007

King of Kong

This is our protagonist, Steve Wiebe, the King of Kong. Yup, I saw the documentary King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters last night at the University theater. I posted about this sometime ago and included the trailer, so I won’t bother reposting that. I really enjoyed this movie though. I’m not usually one to watch documentaries in the theater, but this one looked really funny and it was fun. NERDIEST guys ever. You have a hero and definitely a villain. The people who put together the film did a really good job of painting a picture of how seriously these guys take these things and the humor is based just on the juxtaposition of the various characters you have in the story. I think that’s what makes it so cool is that the people involved are so real and so quirky. It really is entertaining though and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is close enough to go and catch the movie.

I wanted to write about a couple of things so I guess I’ll just tack in onto this post. Something interesting I heard on Love Line the other night with Dr. Drew. They were talking about raising kids and the guy who was guest hosting asked him what he would do if he caught his kids doing drugs, or if he found out that his kid had driven home drunk. And without hesitation Drew responded that he would call the cops on his children, and in the other case if the kid had arrived home safely, he would convince that child to go back out driving and then call the police on him. He said that his job as a parent is to, “bring the consequences to bear.” This is a guy that deals with people with really messed up lives and I thought that was interesting to hear from his perspective. Bring the consequences to bear. So often you find so many parents who do the opposite of that, they ‘protect’ their kids from their own mistakes. I even read recently about a grandfather who accepted blame for his grandson’s 3 DUI crash, but this time he killed two people so now he’s going to jail.

The Raiders loss on Sunday was especially heart-breaking. But it was a step forward, I think. And you know what got me most excited? Seeing Jamarcus on the sideline, FINALLY.

One more thing…I noticed this at lunch yesterday and I do it all the time, but I wanted to bring this up for any guys who might come across this post. So I’m eating by myself at Souplantation and I’m looking at most of the guys in the restaurant and I was actually sizing them up, deciding whether or not I could take that particular person in a fight. I do this all the time, but only consciously realized what I was doing yesterday as I decided that I could beat up just about every person in the restaurant. Do you ever do that? Am I alone on this? I had been thinking about other things most of the time, but then I was looking at a particular group of guys about my age and I sized up every single one of them. I’m not big, but I have decent strength for my size, above average agility, and kind of tough. It made me laugh. I also decided I need more variety with my friends. I only seem to have white friends. I need a couple black friends, a Hispanic/latino friend, and a friend who swears all the time. I think swearing is funny.

Another one more thing…why is every movie that I want to see in the theaters rated-R? Is it in honor of international talk like a pirate day tomorrow? Yes, it’s real. I hate it. Well…I should be getting back to work. Later…

No comments: