Friday, September 14, 2007

First Impressions

You know what’s funny? The stuff that people disclose in interviews. Some people don’t say enough, and others just volunteer too much. For example, yesterday I had an interview with a girl and I asked her the accomplishment that she was most proud of, either personally or professionally. She decided to disclose having a kid at 14 years old, then another at 15. And then she talked about all the tattoos she has and how she thinks she might be able to cover them up. I know this is in direct contrast with what I talked about yesterday or the day before, but there are some things that you just don’t have to bring up, or should even bother to. I think the context is very important which was the case with the other gentleman, but try and avoid bringing up addictions, past arrests, illegitimate children at a really young age, and the like.

It’s always surprising to me how much I have to dumb down rules and policies of the company…it’s that whole least common denominator and having to direct your language at the dumbest person in the organization. Sometimes in orientation when I’m telling people about the company and what it expects of them, they look at me like who would ever even think of doing that sort of thing. And it’s because there are some people like the ones who don’t understand normal social conventions and think that when I ask about accomplishments they’re proud of, they need to talk about the worst things that they have ever done. First impressions people! You only have 15 minutes to impress me, or whomever it is that you’re trying to impress with your interview or statements of intent, DON”T BLOW IT! Geez…

1 comment:

ÐRISTLÆCNES said...

Kids at 15...baby havings babies.

Whats wrong with this world!?!

Canadian Regards,
http://dristlaecnes.blogspot.com/