Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Deep Thoughts

I was just at lunch by myself and I was listening to a couple of super nerds chatting. They were asking each other, what's with the need to publicize everything in your personal life through myspace, facebook, or blogs? That was their topic. And they were really cynical about it. They assumed that everyone goes on and lies and makes up these false identities because they are afraid that who they really are will not be interesting enough. So I guess you can read that thought and you would think to yourself, A) they are spot on. I would never publish anything real or genuine about who I am or what I think about, or B) what a couple of puppies. I don't really care what anyone else thinks and you can take or leave whatever it is that I have to say. I think those are basically the two thoughts that you can have about that, with some variation as to how you might word it. I thought it was a funny way of looking at things. I'd like to think that I'm pretty authentic.

So why do I write? Because I just like doing it. I don't know. Some people like to go and put up stuff for family and friends and use blogs or personal pages as a means to keeping others up to speed with what's going on in your life. I like just writing and putting stuff on here for the sake of doing it, I think. I like having one place where I can put random thoughts down, or go to see clips that I really enjoy. That's all really. I also like the interaction. If I were more blog-savvy, I would have a chat tool that would function as a forum and there would be more discussion. Comments doesn't quite cut it for me. I need a little more. Plus...I don't have enough readership to generate enough response. I blame myself, in part, because I haven't been as consistent and so therefore numbers have dipped a little bit.

I went running yesterday and I felt like I was going to die. I think this was due more to the fact that I had a huge cheeseburger and fries for lunch than being out of shape. I'm shooting to run 10-12 miles this week, and then 14-16 miles next week. Then maybe a five-miler the following week, a couple days of soccer and then run Saturday. When I ran the 5k last time, I finished pretty well considering there was like 20,000 people. Is anyone else going to run this?

Why is it that when guys get together that they tend to be their most childish? At Doug’s birthday party we assumed control of the entire pool and were wrenching ourselves to hit a ball that was nearly impossible to hit. I woke up yesterday wondering my back and ribs were hurting so much. I couldn’t, for the life in me, figure out why I had such a specific pain to such a specific movement – the twisting of my torso. Then I was chatting with Dave yesterday and realized why, because of the party. I hate that you generally get the most sore, or hurt, when you’re screwing around, not when you’re actually exercising. At least that’s the case with me.

What's your take on plastic surgery? I can understand being self-conscious, but that makes me sad to think that someone is so unhappy with their appearance that they would think there is no resort but to surgically alter it. There is not one person in my acquintance who, when I see that person, I think to myself that that person needs to take drastic measures to change that person's appearance. Not one. Maybe I just know really hot people. I think so.

I do have random points of human resource stuff. I saw these things on resumes.
  • I love to work in fast paste environments
  • I like to sale things
  • I have recently gotted married…I hope that your life has been just as forfilling.
  • I am your next investment with a 110% ROI. YES!

Word for word. I also saw a candidate for a receptionist position who had prior experience as a "tanning consultant."

I sat in on an harrassment investigation the other day and while I thought the guy was kind of weird, I thought the person filing the complaint was maybe being too sensitive. Sometimes people are just kind of weird, but not necessarily that they want a piece of you. Don't flatter yourself so much.

Angels and Airwaves plays this Friday at a free show at the Del Mar racetrack. Price of admission is the price of entering the race track, which is like $10. Interested?

I wish we could gamble. Yup...I want to bet on horses. I won't, but I would love to do it. I would gamble on EVERYTHING. I think it comes down to the fact that I like competition and putting money into the mix creates an artificial competition that any person would be interested in. So my proposal is that with the next March Madness tournament, we actually do a pool. Any takers? Even fantasy leagues. We should have our own prize for the league winner.

I wanted to complain about my life to a friend the other day, and then I talked to that friend and she was telling me about everything she was doing and I was realizing that the reason I'm annoyed about the things going on in my life is that I'm not busy enough. If I were as busy as she is, I wouldn't even have time to wallow. Know what I mean? That's why service is so important. You serve other people and not only do you remove yourself from your own concerns, but then you are privy to the trials and experiences that other people are going through and you realize that your concerns just aren't that big of a deal. This is true also of scriptures. Some of those stories you read and you're just like...how in the heck do people deal with those kinds of hardships? So my conclusion is...the church is true.

I had more stuff I wanted to write about, but I should probably get back to work.

2 comments:

gregory said...

so i love your use of the insult 'puppies' in regards to the two uber-nerds. reason being in mongolian it is offensive to call someone a puppy, basically the equivalent of b*tch (did i just swear 80%?). so when i read it i just agreed 'yeah, those dudes are bitzes!'

love the resume quotes, makes me wonder why i never got more job offers when i'm swimming in the same pool as a load of friggin geniuses...

Valerie said...

You had more stuff to write about? Don't get me wrong, I loved reading all of it. I just wish I had more to say!