Sunday, August 5, 2007

Movie Review: Harry Plopper, And The Order Of The Phoenix



I certainly did not start out loving Harry Potter. I think the first movie came out just after I had gotten home from the mission. I think. And I thought it was alright, but it didn't resonate with me. I think about two movies ago I started to become really enamored with the whole series. I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before on here also, but Orson Scott Card turned me onto it even more during a lecture he gave at BYU. Really, the only thing he said was that Harry Potter really is the kind of story filled with the kind of characters that our children should grow up hearing about. That point really stuck with me because I had a similar sense of awe when it came to the characters from the Chronicles of Narnia, in particular the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Peter was a character that I just really loved. And of course, Aslan as well. I thought they were such heroes. They looked out for the people that they loved, often at a tremendous cost to themselves. For whatever reason I have just always had an enormous affinity for knights and medieval times and chivalry, I think for similar reasons. Heroism is a beautiful story, especially when the deeds are bourne of courage and strength. I thought the scene in the Goblet of Fire where Cedric gets killed and Harry reappears admist all of the onlookers sobbing was really heart-wrenching. Made me teary-eyed seeing that part.

This is why I've come to really love Harry Potter. What's more, I love how much darker the films are getting. I imagine books are similar in that sense. Harry really is the type of character that we should come to appreciate. He does not take council from his fears. He frets over and fights for the people that he loves. His friends are tremendously loyal. I loved the scene where Hermione picks up on the Cho eyeing Harry. They all look out for each other and stand up for good, no matter the cost. It's all very noble. I ate it all up.

So I loved the movie. I loved it so much that I'll probably buy the books because I'm so interested in knowing what happens with everything.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yessssssss!

One down, millions to go.

Must buy the books. You'll love it even more. Promise. Don't let Dave stand in your way, either!

Laura said...

the Chronic WHAT cles of Narnia

I am not a crazy harry potter fanatic like those lunatics who camped out for days to get the new book (and I have yet to see the new movie or read the new book), but I definitely enjoy reading the books and if you like the movies that much, I think you will really dig the books.

Dave said...

Wah wuhhhhhh

Valerie said...

I love the Harry Potter series! And the movies leave out a lot of interesting stuff, so I say go for it. But don't rub it in Dave's face, because we all know he can't read!

Kate said...

You don't know me but I came across your blog in my daily search for something entertaining. I am a 31 year old mother of 2 who is obssessed with Harry Potter (though I didn't camp out for the book!) Your reference to HP is what first caught my eye, however, what I found most interesting was your profile. What I want to know is---how much pudding do you have?

Silvs said...

This is what makes the blog worth it. When mothers are coming to me asking me how much pudding I have...how about $200...and $40... worth of pudding...AWWW YEAH.

Dave said...

It says here on the box to Cook and Chill... so that's what I'm gonna do... cook... and chill... awww yeah.