Friday, August 10, 2007

This Is Radio Clash

It's interesting that the more videos I put up, the more visitors I get; but the more stuff I actually write about and have some thoughtful commentary on, the more comments I elicit and the more interested you seem to be. You know what’s funny? I actually feel bad when I’m not posting as much. It’s not like I feel like I’m letting people down, but I like to write and comment and keep people in engaged. Or I at least like to think that when I do write or post things, that they are worthwhile things and at the very least they provoke some thought, or get you to chuckle. But at least get some kind of reaction out of you.

Last Friday I talked about how I went to that show and while I was standing around people watching, the Clash came over the speakers and I was realizing again how much I love them. I don’t even have any of their CDs, but I committed that night to finally get one. And I did…The Singles off of ITunes. 20 songs for ten bucks. That’s fifty cents a song. That’s a good deal. I don’t know if it is the same guy that sings throughout because there are a couple of songs where he sounds completely different. I think my favorite song has to be Train In Vain. I love that voice that comes across and the harmonica. They’re just a cool band, know what I mean? They have a lot of different kinds of beats - some stuff that you want to jump around to, some stuff you want to skank to (wha?), but mostly I feel like their music just kind of makes you want to move and I always appreciate that.

One of my favorite Clash memories is when MxPx played Should I Stay Or Should I Go? at the Warped Tour. It was so cool. Of all the times I’ve seen them in concert and all the songs I’ve heard live, that’s the one I can distinctly remember the most.

Is there a better place to listen to new music then in your car? I realize that the car needs to have at least a decent sound system, but it’s perfect. There is this box with speakers and you sit inside and you can listen to music and you can listen to it as loudly as you like and not have any concern whether or not it’s too loud for the person next door, or if you’re gonna wake somebody up. I realize that earphones and headphone can provide some very proximate noise, but it’s not the same kind of energy that travels through the air and into your ears as it is when it’s just sitting right there in your ear massaging the drums. Lately with the new music that I’ve gotten I’ve really appreciated listening to it first in my car cranked up.

Having said all of that, do you have any suggestions on what I should listen to next in my car? I’m taking applications for new bands and CDs that I should be getting.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have no new bands for you--I live in Milwaukee...let's face it, I never have anything you haven't already heard.

But...Derrick's cousin has a band, based out of Newport...My Superhero. Love em. Check it out. "On our way now" is probably my fave single.

Valerie said...

One of my all time favorite bands is Built to Spill. Don't know if you've heard of them, but that's my suggestion. Lots of really strong songs.