Saturday, June 9, 2007

Does Culture Create Art?

Does the media define what entertainment is, or is the entertainment we pursue merely a reflection of who we are? I started asking this question when EVERYWHERE I was looking everyone had something to say about Paris Hilton. I was listening to Michael Medved and he was talking about how the media assumes that the public is composed of idiots and they really believe that this is what entertains us. He was indignant, and I knew where he was coming from, but then I still couldn't help but wonder what was going on with her. And my boss was talking about it as well. Then my co-worker who works across from me asked if I minded that she turn on the radio to hear the latest news on Paris. At lunch I'm eating Pizza at Ray's Pizza (which deserves a post dedicated to his pizza because he is AWESOME), and on the TV he has it tuned to CNN and what do I see?
I can't get away from her. She was at work. She was in my car on the way to lunch. She was at lunch. And then she was waiting for me at work when I got back. And when I left work...and on and on and on...

I know that the story is so played out and so old, but it continues to be at the center of our attention. I think any rational person who hears about her has to think it is all so completely ridiculous, but somehow we cannot help ourselves, it keeps us glued to the TV, radio, whatever. So...does the media dictate what is entertainment? Is culture a reflection of the people? Is this what we've come to?

Incidentally, if these questions interest you and you haven't read Farenheit 451, you really should. It talks a lot about these types of issues. He wrote it in response to how television might affect society. Ray Bradbury is almost prophetic. It's an incredible read. And short too, you could blow through it in a couple of hours.

So, is this who I am? Am I doomed to be immersed in a flood of media gossip about a celebutante whose only contribution to society is her careless, promiscuous attitude? It's almost like the Truman Show, but this is really real life. Did some person see that movie and realize that we were only a few steps from actually creating that scenario?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think people have the illusion that their lives are boring, and celebrities' lives are super exciting. Which I don't really think is all that true. It's just that they're more public. Most celebrities are good looking, and who doesn't like to look at attractive people? I know that's why I sometimes obsess over the details of celebrities. Still, I don't know if it's us that creates this phenomenon, or if it's the media. But by this point, it's once continuous cycle. At times when I stop and think about how much of my time is dedicated to meaningless things, like celebrigossip, it makes me sick. But have I quit? No. I need to wean myself off. Dlisted.com, E!, etc. Sometimes it's a nice distraction from real life, and really, talking about the latest scandal in Hollywood makes for great conversation. Especially in offices.

Wow. That was long. And mostly pointless. But great post! Yours...not mine!

Silvs said...

I love my lone faithful reader. Yeah, I'm sure they both contribute to each other. This is one of those things that I need to write an essay on, maybe even take both sides of the argument, and just really flesh out both sides. That is super geeky, but it's an interesting question.

You're probably right, though. And I totally experienced first-hand on Friday how much more entertaining it was to talk about Paris while I'm doing my work, rather than just sitting there quietly working. It's almost as if celebrities become that commonality that we share with other people and somehow we bond over that particular person, because the alternative is that we don't have common friends and acquaintances and the result is that we don't really talk at all. Maybe it's so interesting because people just want to connect with other people, even if it's over stuff that is really dumb, i.e. celebrigossip.

Douglas said...

all i know is that for an idiot, paris is a genius. she is famous for doing nothing. literally nothing. when does nothing go out of style???

Caitlin said...

Lone reader? I'll consider that an affront :) I heard Paris ate dry toast for breakfast her first day in the clink.

Silvs said...

Sorry, Caitlin. It's just that Karen and I have developed a nice little blogging friendship and she was with me from the beginning. Granted, the beginning was like a couple days longer than you, but I will always remember that loyalty. Plus, it's to the point where I want to start trying her recipes that she gives on her blog.

Unknown said...

Oh, you must! I do not post yucky recipes. They are all tried and true and gauranteed to win over the ladies!!!