Monday, June 11, 2007

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unusual Concert Happenings

Yeah...I had mentioned awhile ago that I would post some funny occurrences at concerts. I don't know if they're that funny when you weren't the one who went, but for the sake of the few who read this blog and who were actually there at these concerts, then you'll appreciate this:

  • Warped Tour, 1998 - It was the night after Grad night and we had all been up most of the night and went to the all day affair at what was then referred to as...the Meadows. And there we met with the secret society known as...The Pentaverate. Sorry. But it was called the Irvine Meadows. We all had disposable cameras with the last pictures we would take with many of our friends from the night before, only to hear guitars blazing from one of the stages which were easily identified as belonging to our favorite band playing that day, Strung Out. They refused to allow us to take in these cameras (because we also brought backpacks full of food), so we just tossed everything so that we could get inside and not miss anymore of the show. So much for the memories. That's not the good part though. I think I got about 100+ stickers, and 10+ cds for free. So awesome. Strung Out, Bad Religion, AFI, Deftones, Cheater, Hi-Standard, and a bunch of others played. Why I bring all this up though was that after about 6 hours of being all dusty and sweaty from hanging out with a couple thousand other concert-goers (who are generally not clean people to begin with) we finish the day going to see Hi-Standard. We all sported bare chests in true punk rawk fashion. They were not a big band at all, but they have some fun songs. What was so startling/awesome was that after being there all day long, the crowd was overwhelmed by Japanese guys. Like several hundred. It was so weird because we had been there all day long and never noticed a large throng of asian guys, but here they all were, in full force supporting their boys from Tokyo. So cool. Plus, I remember them all wearing bandanas like the one Mr. Miyagi gives Daniel in Karate Kid and ones with the rising sun on them. I know you think I'm just stereotyping, but they really were wearing those bandanas. And, those are my people so I can stereotype all I want. So I drive a japanese made car, am really good at video games, and good at math. Just staying true to form. At least that half that's Japanese.
  • Lagwagon, 1998 - So my best friend, Dave, has a play that he has the lead for. Really cool, huh? Except, I decide that I'd rather go to a concert than see him play the lead. You know...I feel like there was a pretty good reason I didn't go the night before. But I feel bad for not going. But I didn't then. Funny how that happens. In any case, I'm leaving his house to go to the show and his front door faces the street and my car is parked within view of the hallway of his house. As I'm heading out, I thought it would be funny if, for dramatic effect, I stare at him while accelerating off quickly. Me, being an idiot, had put the car in reverse which was a complete surprise to Dave as well as myself. Lurching backward, rather than forward, I back into the family van and wreck the grill. About a week before I'm about to shell out money to make the repairs, the van gets stolen. A 10 year old van with 100,000+ miles on it with no emergency brake. I still maintain my innocence. I go with only 2 other friends to see Lagwagon, but it takes us about 2 1/2 hours to make what should be a 45 minute trip. Within a 5 mile stretch, there were 3 accidents. All 3 of us feeling a lot of frustration, listen to Rage Against the Machine on the way to the show, and that turned out to be almost as fun as the concert itself. And then with hours of pent up energy, we go to one of the funnest shows I've ever been. One of those where you're in the crowd and your arms are tired afterwards because people are pushing so hard to get as close to the stage as possible.
  • Strung Out, 1998- They played one last summer show which happened to be about the week before we first went up to BYU. We went with like 10-15 guys and we lose Billy Nelson. He emerges after everything is said and done and he has no shirt on. Someone says, "Bill, what happened to your shirt? (Look of bewilderment) "I have no idea." I just love that response. It was like he didn't even realize that he lost it.

  • Unwritten Law, 2002 - A couple of times we popped down to Vegas from school to meet some of our California friends to see a show at the House of Blues. One of these times we go see the show, have a great time, and we all went to O'Shea's across the street from Ceasar's Palace because they have dollar tables. I have never gambled due to the fact that once I get really excited about something, I have no control and will lose myself to addiction. As evidenced by this blog. Plus, I think it totally warps your value of money. You kind of have to be around gambling to really understand that. And this was pre-specific recent council to not gamble. Anyway...so my high-roller friends are playing the dollar tables, doubling down on 11 with their $1 bets, and the guitarist and bassist from Unwritten Law join them at the table. So cool. Going to see a show at the House of Blues, $20. Playing blackjack at O'Shea's, $1. Playing blackjack at O'Shea's with the band who you came to see, priceless. It might have been a different Vegas show, but while watching the water show at the Bellagio, some girls start freaking out and ask us to take a picture of them with Linkin Park, who happened just to be standing right next to us watching the water dance to Andre Bochelli. Random.

  • Yellowcard, 2004 - This was over Thanksgiving Break here in Irvine. So...I have this uncanny ability to be able to fall asleep ANYWHERE. I mean, ANYWHERE. I don't think of myself as a sleepy person, but basically, if I sit still long enough I will just get tired and can fall asleep. And it's a choosing thing too. It's not like I'm narcoleptic. It's kind of like if a reptile gets really cold, its body will shut down and go into a type of suspended animation. They do that, right? I would be an X-man if I could figure out how to sleep-fight, but until then, I'm just well-rested. Anyway, it is UNBELIEVABLY loud in the Bren Events Center. And Yelloward still has a couple of opening bands before they get on. And I go into the stands and I totally take a cat-nap until the appointed time. It might not seem that amazing, but try going to a small venue where a dozen speakers are propped up above your head, and then you'll know what I'm talking about. When you can suffer through a nap while acquiring tinnitus, then come talk to me and we'll have a sleep off.

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

I'm pretty sure being the wife of said best friend Dave that I've heard these stories before. But they just never get old. Wish I could have witnessed the accelerated backing up into the van -- the image alone . . . so funny.

Unknown said...

2 of many things I loved about your blog today:

1-Being welcomed by Flock of Seagulls.

2-Reference to So I Married an Axe Murderer

Silvs said...

I wish I could take credit for the Flock of Seagulls, but that was actually inspired by your post about that music festival. I was looking at that and I was like...man, that sounds awesome. And then I was like I am so in the mood for a big concert/festival with 80s bands and, voila, it's over in Wisconsin. Can't believe I'm actually jealous of where you live. You win this round. But so that got all these 80s songs in my head and that's what happened.