Sunday, June 24, 2007

Movie Review: 1408

Okay...so this movie scared the hell out of me. Granted, I kind of haven't been watching "scary" movies for some time, but I don't normally scream like a little girl when it comes to actually being in the theater. There was one part in particular where I not only yelped, but had tensed up so much that I actually got a cramp in my hamstring. Don't worry. I didn't show it. I did go running earlier that day too so I think I was already fatigued. But the movie is very well played out. It does depart a good amount from the short story, but that was entirely necessary to beef up the screenplay and give it enough to fashion an entire movie. Cusack is wonderful. The story is gripping. Just as Card mentions that the artistry of fear is getting the audience to fear what the characters fear, this movie does that. You want him to escape. You watch his descent into insanity. And not only that, but that room is a bastard. It crosses lines that you just don't cross. Like Olin says, it is an evil effing room. Although there are some violent images, it is not a bloody movie at all in the sense of being like any of the recent horror films that have come out. It is everything you would want in a scary film. Check it out.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

I want to see!

Unknown said...

Me...still on the fence...