Saturday, June 30, 2007

What Does This Mean To You?

Molly Mormon.

I heard a couple of people utter this term a couple of times just this weekend and it had a really negative connotation. That didn't really surprise me, but what did surprise me was the things they were in reference to. I asked about one girl that I've been kind of interested in getting to know and the girl I was talking to called her really Molly. I didn't really think much of it until she was talking about how this girl's ex-boyfriend wanted her to go to a pretty big concert on a Sunday and she didn't want to go. And that just kind of surprised me. Is that really that Molly to do that? Or in other words, is that such a strict interpretation for a lot of members of the church? I can understand work things and how that comes up sometimes and you should do your best to avoid it, but a concert? That feels worse to me than buying stuff at the store because you're out of milk. Am I alone?

The other person used it when she was describing how she is a worker and can survive on her own, and then she said she was definitely not a Molly Mormon and that she didn't need to be taken care of. So the implication was that Mollys are very dependent and could never get a real job to pay the bills if it came down to it.

I guess one of my problems is that I just never use the term to begin with, so maybe that's why I'm kind of out of touch with what it means. I think what's more interesting is what people consider strict behavior and what is permissible. I don't think I'm a judgmental person, but I just know that if it's up to me, I'm not going to go to a concert on a Sunday because you just shouldn't. Are you going to hell for that? Or course not. Is that something you should avoid? Yeah. Is that a really that strict of an interpretation about how to keep the Sabbath day holy? Depends on who you're asking, I guess.

14 comments:

Caitlin said...

Word, Silva. Word. To me I guess the term means someone who goes unnecessarily over the top in adhering to our precepts. For example, you'll never find me in a pioneer dress with sleeves and skirts down to the very tips of my extremities, but I'm a modest gal by all means. However, if Molly Mormon has come to mean someone who strives to always do what's right and keep the commandments(including keeping the Sabbath day holy), then I'd be proud to bear that stigma.

Dave said...

Say what you will about me... but I married well.

Unknown said...

In general, I agree with Caitlyn--mostly it's someone who strives to keep the commandments.

There are times when I've both heard and used the term in reference to someone who not just keeps the commandments, but makes others feel inferior b/c they choose to do differently. Or choose to keep different commandments. Shopping cart commandments, if you will.

Still, it's sad that others feel the need to belittle those who strive to do what's right.

Dave said...

Shopping cart commandments?

Caitlin said...

Yes. Thou shalt not ride the shopping cart it thou art above the age of accountability :) I believe she may be referring to abstaining from caffeine sodas?

Caitlin said...

Chicken necks?

Dave said...

If it's about riding in the carts overage... then forgive me Father, for I have sinned and will probably sin again.

Dave said...

If it is in reference to riding in shopping carts above the age limit... then forgive me Father for I have sinned... and will likely sin again.

Dave said...

Censorship of comments is lame and makes me post sometimes twice cuz I don't realize "moderation" has been enabled.

Silvs said...

Oh, the joke works once, but not twice. Sorry, I only moderated to try and erase a comment, but I didn't figure it out. I was just surprised because the last several days several people who I didn't think read the blog do and all of the sudden now I'm more leary of what I write, or how I say things, or about whom I'm writing.

Dave said...

And if bribing a jury is against the law, then so help me... I'll soon be guilty of that!

Unknown said...

Shopping cart commandments: picking and choosing which commandments you prefer to keep, while leaving those other commandments on the shelf.

I think I would very much like to hang out with Dave and Caitlyn at some point in my future.

Dave said...

Back at you Wet Donkey.

Douglas said...

That is freakin ridiculous. not the wet donkey thing, or even the shopping cart full of donkey commandments, but mostly the poor chick's definition of "Molly Mormon". I have to believe that the true definition is not just someone who "strives" to do what the religion says or even what is right but more someone is unable to see the forest for the trees. A "Molly", I believe, has done and will do exactly what they are told without examining the issue for themself and without knowing or ever asking why. Some may view this as strict obedience and therin lies the weakness of my argument but when compared with our instruction to aquire intelligence it just seems sheltered and ignorant.