Monday, July 2, 2007

Book Review: The Blind Side

My brother got me The Blind Side by Michael Lewis for my birthday a couple of months ago. Incidentally, if you want to know a pretty easy gift for me, books almost always works. And I like almost everything so you can't go wrong. Almost. Anyway, if you know anything about baseball, one of the most significant books written the last few years is called Moneyball by the same author. I should've known, but it took me a while to figure out that the book is a true story. It details the evolution of football offenses and how the sport has come to really value the Left Tackle, the offensive lineman who covers the blind side of a right-handed quarterback. While explaining that development, he also tells the story of a young black man welcomed into an affluent white family in the south. This kid also happens to have the exact talents and body type to become the prototypical left tackle, now regarded as a cornerstone for success in football.

What I really appreciate about the book is how smart his writing is. The authors picks up on seemingly simple concepts and the broader implications that they have. It's thoughtful and engaging. The book provides the quintessential story of evolving into greatness from shattered beginnings. Most guys with any interest in sports would find this a great read, and a quick one too. I blew through it in a couple of days. For more on the story, check out this article which are excerpts from the book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's about time you read it! I almost thought I had to buy the DVD version for you.