Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Land That I Love...

Usually our stake will have a flag-raising ceremony and pancake breakfast to celebrate the 4th of July. This year we are having a huge event and there are already 750 people expected to come to the stake and take part in a barbeque and music extravaganza. Does anyone know of anything I might be able to hit in the morning? I kind of just wanted to do something to celebrate Independence more than just watching fireworks or hanging out at the beach all day. Anyway, I read an article on National Review today that I thought was pretty interesting and worth passing along. It talks about how as a nation we have alienated ourselves from our own country because we don't really understand the significant underpinnings of the most significant events or people in our country's history.

This got me thinking...how much do we really know about George Washington? Is my knowledge of Abraham Lincoln tainted by saboteurs who fail to appreciate the Great Emancipator? This makes me want to buy a bunch more nonfiction books that I will struggle to find enough time to read. I will post some more patriotic stuff before the 4th arrives. Hopefully we can do more than just think about how we will spend our day off, and remember a little more about why we are celebrating this special day.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Great stuff Chris - I liked your post about TRANSFORMERS. Who can forget that "sound" they made when they transformer.

Anyway, I saw your post about 4th of July and for some reason that I can't explain, it made me think about that great American pasttime - COMIC BOOKS!

You need to read about Jeff Loeb and why he did what he did to Captain America. I'm really annoyed with what they're doing over there. There's got to be something wrong in the world when they kill of an icon. Please, if anybody needs to leave our public conscience it should be Hollywood celebrities.

Anyway, this Wednesday, after you wake and go downstairs to sit down and eat your Cheerios, remember these words and do what you need to do:

HOIST THE COLORS!


PS - you finally read that book! I almost thought I had to buy the DVD version for you.


Peace