Tuesday, July 31, 2007

How Should I Feel About This?

I hate my program. I was a student at Claremont Graduate University. The degree I have been working toward is a Masters in Organizational Behavior and Evaluation. Although there have been some good classes in statistics and research methodology, a lot of the classes are theoretical and largely of no consequence in practical, applied settings, i.e. the real world. They do very little, if anything to provide opportunities outside of the classroom for practical experience. I am on a mailing list that comes out weekly with opportunities for work and other kinds of decent jobs, but in reality only about 3-4 of those jobs are ones that make sense for a student still attending the program. Even after graduating, unless you want to relocate, only a couple more job possibilities open up. If you are willing to relocate, then maybe 2-3 more jobs are available making the grand total of worthwhile employment opportunities for full-fledged CGU graduates....ready? 5-6. Maybe give or take a couple.

The school is private so that means expensive. To the tune of about $30,000 a year. Most, if not all students receive some aid that amounts to about $6,000 a year. So you're obligated to fund through loans or other sources about $20,000 at least a year.

In addition to being expensive, I just don't like several key people in the program. I think the chair for the School of Behavior and Organizational Sciences is a douchebag. I feel like my advisor is out to get me. And one of the teachers that I really admired when I first started the program went through a nasty divorce last year and from then on has been a huge perra. That's Spanish. You know what I mean. So pretty much I feel like the program does not tap me into pipelines of work opportunities, and even if it did, I don't feel like the education I'm receiving is really providing me with relevant experience that gives me a competitive edge. Then on top of that, I feel like everyone hates me.

I took a leave of absence last semester and then because of poor interdepartmental communication, I was dropped from the program. I had to file a petition to get back in and it worked. But then I didn't register right away when that semester passed so it happened again. When that happened I became very agitated that I might have to petition a second time to get back in, and so I started considering alternative plans. One of those plans that I'm going to act on is applying for the PhD program at BYU. Not only do they offer myriad opportunities for practical experience, it's like 1/6 the price of Claremont. So currently, my plan is to visit this next month, talk with my old professors, and get my application in by the end of September.

However, just today my advisor's assistant is contacting me asking me to get in touch with my advisor to enroll for classes. So apparently according to some people at Claremont, I still am a student at the university. In the same day, I got a letter telling me that I'm not getting financial aid. I think this is especially idiotic considering that I've been getting notices from Sallie Mae which is the creditor for my student loans telling me I need start paying back my loan. If you're not aware, when they're telling you that you need to payback your loan it either means you've graduated or not registered with the school anymore. Being that I haven't graduated yet, I obviously thought that I was dropped from the program. Which really didn't bother me much at all. I was actually kind of excited to not have CGU hanging over my head anymore.

Make no mistake, I really hate my program. It's been that way since the first semester, but I had myself fooled for a while that I was into it. I think there have been moments. Overall I just don't feel like it has been, or ever will be, that beneficial for my career prospects.

I think I know how I feel about all this now, but it still bugs the crap out of me. I paid this much money to get such poor service? And another thing, all of the professors at CGU decided they were going to take their sabbaticals during the same two year period. Not for the entire time, but when you're only going to be studying in the program for a couple of years and you want to work with a particular professor, it's kind of hugely inconvenient to realize that person will be gone for a quarter of the time you are attending the program. Blah.

5 comments:

Laura said...

That sucks. I'm sorry. Provo again, huh?

Unknown said...

That's too bad. I hate my program too! Like, REALLY hate it. I voice my opinion about it ALL the time and I am probably the most hated student among professors and deans in the College of Nursing. Seriously. They all know I won't take their bull$hit. It's come to the point where I'm the one people come to to complain about something, b/c others are too afraid to. Ha. But what can they do to me? Nothing. I'm a 4.0 student! I don't know if it's b/c I came from BYU where everything was more organized and the professors weren't morons (for the most part...) Anyway...bottom line is, I feel for you.

Silvs said...

I'm actually kind of excited about the Provo prospect. The program sounds great, good experience...great breadth of opportunities. One guy I know in the program worked for the church as a consultant in their research and evaluation department. I think that'd be really cool.

I kind of hate anything that has to do with CGU. It's funny how that feeling has generalized to all other areas, because it wasn't always like that.

I don't think I realized how amazing BYU is until I went to this other school. If only I were as motivated in my program to put myself in a position where I could lobby and voice my displeasure. It looks my plan is to skulk away to BYU.

Valerie said...

That sucks!!! It kinda means having to reorganize your plans and your future. But a good shake now and then is probably good for the soul. Perhaps you are meant to leave!

Dave said...

Valerie... your solution for everything is shaking. That's why I pray for your little baby.