Friday, July 6, 2007

Hodgepodge

It's interesting to see what people respond to and are most interested in. A lot of times, the posts that I am the most excited about, the ones that I put the most effort into or that I feel are the most well-thought out, turn out to be the ones that nobody says anything about. Then other times I write a post about Molly Mormon and I think it's kind of a dumb post and there are a billion responses.

And I was thinking about that some more (Molly Mormon) and thinking, you know, that's kind of judgmental of me. At least with the concert example, because later that day I started looking at the schedule for the Raiders and looking at when they were coming to play in San Diego and I had no problem with missing church to go see a game. So it just seems that while going to a concert isn't my cup of tea, football is. So either I don't value concerts or I really value football. Or both. And I do quite often break it, just by watching the amount of football that I do. But I freakin' love that sport. Want to hear my justification about that one though? Because football is only on Sundays I feel like that one is more acceptable than a concert, because a popular artist will usually play several days and so the option is there to go on different days. And to my credit I did look first for any Saturday games in December because the NFL does have that schedule once the college season is done, and then for Monday night games. Unfortunately, they have been horrible the last few years so they lost all of their primetime priveleges.

What will probably happen is that I will mention it to my brother, get him excited about, he will mention it to my cousin, and then I will go through internal turmoil for a couple weeks over it until it's too late to get tickets and make it to the game. I went to a Monday night game a couple of years ago in Oakland and it was the night after Brett Favre's dad decided to die so his son could have the game of his life. If I wasn't a Brett Favre fan, and just a big fan of football in general, I might have been more disappointed but it was kind of amazing. When they talk about Brett Favre, they often bring that game up. You guys have no idea how crazy it was to keep on seeing him throw it 60 yards into double and triple coverage and hit his guy every time, there are certain things that you really have to see in person to really appreciate and that was one of them. It was unbelievable how good he was that night.

I'm just going with random thoughts this post so if you're not interested in what I've been thinking about, then come on back some other time when I have more clips or trailers or whatever. The last couple weeks I have been thinking about this one...probably the last couple of months...I'm starting to consider more and more what I want to be when I grow up. Like, what do I want my vocation to be? What is my calling in life? aside from being a member of the church, having a family, etc. And the more I've thought about it, the more I become enamored again with the idea of being a psychologist. That's what I majored in, and I even identified that major in high school as being what I wanted to pursue. With the program at Claremont and with the work that I've been doing lately, I kind of got away from that. It's interesting to me how much my ears perk up when I hear about human behavior, or hear things from forensic psychologists, or even when I'm talking with the cognitive psychologist that I started working with recently. But I do really enjoy that field and I think I have the skill sets to excel in that line of work. Just a thought.

Another thought...I have bought two books on economics the last month - Freakonomics and Freedomnomics, which are complete opposites. And now I'm really interested in getting Cocktail Economics. Why is that subject so interesting to me these days? It must be the social sciences. I think I really dig them all, psychology, political science, economics, that stuff really does grab my attention. However, I'm working right now on Rogue Warrior, which is awesome.

Speaking of knowingness...I think people should know who Tony Blair is. What other kinds of things do you think people should just know? I guess it depends on what things you value, so those things are debatable.

I had an evil thought in passing that maybe I'm losing the fire for blogging, but that is not the case. I'm already back to thinking of things that I want to post about, so rest assured that there will be more posts on their way. Cheers.

5 comments:

Douglas said...

I know that a lot of times i don't have the time to comment on everything. I just pick one that i can respond to quickly. sometimes i don't even have the time to read it all and then by the time i get around to responding, it is long since defunct. do you notice when you get comments on old posts?

re:football v concerts
sounds like a healthy dose of rationalization but im not saying i disagree. i have also never been to a pro football game. NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, pretty much everything else, but no football. i definately believe that a concert is worse than milk from the store but I have to admit though that i whole heartedly subscribe to vacation sunday rules. sacrament meeting only and depending on where you are, sometimes lunch or dinner out. i think the whole sabbath day observance has too much to do with too many variables to be able to make a blanket judgement. if i never saw my kids and my only day with them was Sunday, i would have a different version of Sabbath observance.

Occupation-
I guess you gotta ask yourself the age old question that high school guidance councilors ask students, "what would you do with a million dollars?" you mean, besides two chicks at the same time? Nothing. I would do absolutely nothing. Not to cheapen the discussion, but i wish i knew what to do when i grow up too and i got two kids. i figure that growin up thing should be happenin' here soon.

Economics related stuff...
have you read The World Is Flat by Thomas Friedman? let me know how those other ones are.

Everyone knows that Tony Blair was the guy that filmed and directed the highly acclaimed feature motion picture, The Blair Witch Project. Duh.

*On another note
Don't you love when people can't use (1), consistent and cohesive notation or B), clear punctuation to denote titles or responses?

Silvs said...

Your comments have been really thoughtful and well written. What few comments you have put on here has been overshadowed by the quality of the comments.

I do notice, sometimes later rather than sooner, comments on old posts. If it is more than a week old, then probably not. I think people, for the most part, don't generally go back that far because that would require actually searching through posts and the amount of days I have visible is only seven.

We have to go to a pro football game sometime soon. There is a totally different energy that is much more tangible than the other sports. Although Laker games are probably up there, especially when they're good. Of course, there are a million exceptions (or rationalizations, if you prefer) to the sabbath rules, but I guess I was only referring to my own judgment of that girl because when I judged that as being wrong, having a blanket rule was what brought me to that conclusion. Which is probably where most judgmental opinions are coming from in the first place.

I guess that wondering what we're going to do with our lives never really goes away, even if you're married and with two kids.

I haven't read that, but I'll check it out, probably find it interesting, and probably end up buying it. That seems to be the mode that I've been in these days.

Unknown said...

There's an option on your Dashboard (blogger) to have e-mail notifications as soon as a new comment has been posted. I highly recommend it. Saves your from re-reading your posts a million times.

Caitlin said...

Word, Karen. An excellent feature. Wait, are you even reading this?!?

Unknown said...

Sure am. Just one of the stalking features I like to offer.