Tuesday, July 10, 2007

What's A Gime?

The gym is a funny place, isn't it? Guys go and they'll wear designer crooked hats. Girls will wear almost nothing, or have all their make-up on. Guys will gawk. Girls will go to be gawked at. People watching is fun, but people watching at the gym is really fun because you have people exerting themselves physically and sometimes that's just pure comedy. For instance, one guy today insisted on curling probably about 20 lbs more than what he should normally be doing. As a result, he develops a full body flex that incorporates his back arched awkwardly with a spectacular grimace that makes his neck strain so much that it looks like all those little tendons are about to pop out of the skin. And it's funny when the girls do want the attention from the guys at the gym, and when they don't. Or watching people run on the treadmills. I think I enjoy watching people do exercises all wrong, or with way too much weight. Always good for a laugh or two.

And you know what else I like seeing at the gym? I like seeing fat people. I always think to myself, way to go fat guy! You've finally gotten angry enough at your body to inflict some positive pain. There used to be this African-American couple and the guy was huge, just an amazing physical specimen. And his wife was...just not. But I thought it was so cool to watch him be so supportive of her. It wasn't one of those, "you better get in shape or else," kind of deals. It was genuine. I liked seeing that. It's a funny place. I happened upon it today. I love kick-starting those endorphins. It really is one of my favorite feelings to finish up a work-out and be through all the post-stretching and just be relaxing. Exercise is good.